Wednesday 4 September 2013

Alfreton Charter


Last year I reported on the first charter I attended as Hucknall’s President being our Daughter club, Alfreton.  Charter Dinners can be quite traditional events and the first charter I attended was as a second term President, was of course, Alfreton’s.  Same venue, same menu, even the same speaker, the entertaining Sheila Dibnah, although she spoke on life before Fred this time!

It was Alfreton’s 75th Charter which they received in 1938 from District Chairman (and member of Hucknall), Henry Morley.  District Governor Peter Moralee commented on the similar-sounding surname.  I must enlighten him about dear old Henry one day!

During the course of last year, I became good friends with Alfreton’s president, Colin Fox, and we have subsequently worked together on District 1220’s Visioning team.  This year, Alfreton don’t have one president, they have three past presidents looking after the club for four months each.

During the roll call, I was addressed as Immediate Past President and so, as I brought greetings to President Keith, I commented that not only was I Immediate Past President I was also President for another year so I wasn’t sure what that made me.  One wag quickly piped up, “A Fool”.

A great night was had, the company was superb and Sheila Dibnah once again proved a very capable and entertaining speaker.



No comments:

Post a Comment