Wednesday 29 August 2012

Bowled Over


Hucknall Rotarians broke with their usual tradition of not meeting on the Tuesday following a Bank Holiday  to compete in their Annual Bowls Competition which had been postponed the previous week due to a waterlogged bowling rink. 
 




 

 


 

The re-arranged date meant that there would be a new winner of the Mark Brinklow Memorial Rose Bowl.  The Bowl had been won by PP David Fox for the last two years, but David was unable to defend his title.  However, later in the bar of Rolls Royce Social Club whilst they were screening the Nottingham Forest versus Wigan Athletic football match, we were certain we spotted David sitting in the crowd next to Stuart Pearce, the former Forest and England player and manager of Team GB.  Maybe David has a twin!
Last year, Hucknall Rotary Club won the District 1220 Lawn Bowls Tournament with Jack Gray, Ashley Maddock, Allan Johnson being members of our winning team.  Can they defend their title on 9th September?

 
 
I would like to say that I had a good tournament.  As president, one of my roles is to encourage members to perform and achieve.  That’s my excuse anyway as I lost my first round match 7-3 to Jeff Brinklow.  Jeff went on to reach the final where he was narrowly beaten by Jack Gray who was duly crowned our new champion. 

The only way I ever get my hands on the winning trophy is having the honour of presenting the Mark Brinklow Memorial Rose Bowl to Jack Gray.  As I handed the bowl over, the National Anthem rang out from an iphone bringing another successful night to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment