Thursday 18 April 2013

RIBI 88th Annual Conference - The Sessions

As I came out of the first session at the RIBI conference, I was so inspired by all the speakers I heard my first reaction was , “How could they improve on that in the remaining days?”   I relayed these thoughts to a couple nearby as the crowd headed for the exits.  Their answer set me thinking, they said , “Oh yes, it’s always like this.  That’s why we always come to the national conference because we’re guaranteed quality speakers.  We never go to our district conference.”

Having now attended my first national conference I can see how their point of view  has developed.  One would naturally assume that RIBI would have greater resources to call upon for that ‘extra’ bit of excellence.  District conferences are organised on a similar, but smaller scale.  For me, the most enjoyable aspect of a district conference is sharing fellowship with other club members.   Some of the speakers hit the mark, others less so.  Being the only member of my club at the National conference however, met that that aspect of fellowship was missing for me.  I did note that some clubs travelled en masse to the conference, and I do have to say that everyone I spoke to responded in a warm and friendly manner so I didn’t feel alone and felt that I made new Rotarian friends.

A Rotary conference always starts with a welcome from the President, District Governor(s), Civic Leaders.  With the conference in Harrogate, Yorkshire for the first time in eighty years, Gary Verity, CEO of Welcome to Yorkshire addressed conference.  Gary has done a sterling job marketing the county of Yorkshire and increasing its tourist economy to such extent that even the ‘Tour de France’ bicycle race will now have 2 legs of its programme racing through Yorkshire!

Rotary International’s president  for 2012/2013, Sakuji Tanaka was present and spoke.  What struck me most was the president’s humility and humbleness.  He spoke of the impact of growing up in Post-war Japan and being motivated to work for Global Peace.  What most impressed me though, was when this gentleman told how, three years ago, he started to go out into the street where he lived and tidy the street.  Over time, 18 other members of his Rotary club joined him in this activity which clearly demonstrated the rotary motto of “Service above self.”

A re-occurring theme in many of the speakers addresses to the conference was overcoming great affliction to achieve the improbable, or as Dr Bruce Aylward (Assistant Director General, Polio, World Health Organisation) phrased it, “Changing the impossible to the inevitable.”  Simon Weston’s take on it was, “It’s not what happens in life that counts, but what we do with it afterwards”   On a similar line, Simon Weston said, “Don’t want for change, make change happen.” Every person who took to the stage microphone seemed to promote this fitting message to Rotarians.

Time and space doesn’t allow me to give a summary of all speeches.  Therefore I will list the speakers I heard as follows:
  • Councillor Robert Windass, Mayor of the Borough of Harrogate 2012/13
  • Keith Davison, Host District Governor
  • Gary Verity, CE of Welcome to Yorkshire
  • Sandra Dineley-Jones, “The Nightmare of Living with a Heroin Addict”
  • Helen Lederer, Water Aid celebrity supporter
  • Sammy Roberts, Physio First – provided a much-needed  5 minute stretch exercise routine
  • Sir Tim Smit, Founder of the Eden Project
  • Richard Dowden, African Educational Trust,
  • Albert Woods, Vice Chairman British Olympic Association
  • Gordon McInally, Hope & Homes for Children, the Ubuntu Project
  • The Prostate Girls, Male Cancer Awareness
  • Colin Spurway, Project Director BBC World Service Trust from Phnom Penh Cambodia
  • Dr Bruce Aylward, Assistant Director General, Polio, WHO
  • Dr Shelia Halliday-Pegg, President of the Association of Inner Wheel Clubs
  • Simon Weston OBE, Falklands war veteran speaking about ‘Bravery with Dignity.’
  • York Arts Academy Concert Band
  • Roly Bain, Professional Clown (and Anglican Priest)
  • Revd Debbie Hodge and Kevan Baker, representing ‘Wheelpower’
  • Natasha Johnson-Last, RGBI Rotaract Chairman
  • Eric Knowles, BBC Antiques Road Show on behalf of the Stroke Association
  • Maddie Halliday, Stroke Association
  • Olivia Giles, The 500 Miles Project
  • Paul Boardman, Sports broadcaster and comedian
Prior to attending this year, my intention was to be a delegate in this my club presidential year, but that would be it.  After my experience at this year’s conference, I shall certainly be attending next years which will be held from 11th to 13th April 2014 and hosted at the ICC, Birmingham.  I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment