Sunday 9 September 2012

Charity Teed Off


I hope no-one misread my title!  Friday 7th September saw Hucknall Rotary Club and the Hilltoppers Golf Society work together again in raising funds for equipment for the new Cystic Fibrosis unit being constructed at the City Hospital, Nottingham.

The most read blog to date to date was ‘Chasing the Dragon’ which raised £ 500 towards our target of raising £ 7,000 for the project. 

The latest fund-raiser was a Charity Golf Day held at Ratcliffe on Trent Golf Club.  20 Teams of 4 entered and the winners were the ‘American Golf’ team.  My only experience of playing golf has been on the computer where I once managed to complete the course with a score of par under six, however I know that I can never better that score.

I arrived in the evening for the auction, raffle and presentations.  Peter Sherlock (Past President of Hucknall Rotary Club and committee member of Hilltoppers Golf Society) acted as the evening's Master of Ceremonies.  Radcliffe on Trent Golf Club Captain Mick Brown kindly welcome me although his first act was issuing me with a captain’s fine as my mobile phone rang just as I entered the golf club!





 

Caroline Kew, Nottingham University Hospitals Fund-raiser spoke and introduced Caroline Spencer who spoke movingly and what it means to live with CF and the impact this new unit will make on her and others with the illness.  Many sufferers of illnesses are able to form meeting groups in order to come together as people who know what others are going through.  I didn’t realise until listening to Caroline Spencer that people with Cystic Fibrosis are unable to meet together for fear of cross-contamination of viruses that may be carried.   The new unit, which will be the most innovative in the country, will allow patients to speak and share with each other using video conferencing technology.

This is a worthy cause and over £ 2,250 was raised on the day going towards our target of £ 7,500. The Hilltoppers, together with the Rotary Club of Hucknall, plan to  purchase 2 ultrasonic nebulisers and a Treadmill Tunturi T Track T90.

 
 
 

 

If you would like to help us in our efforts, either by attending or arranging an event, or by making a donation, please get in touch:

 


 

Tel: Ian Peat on 01949 875 135 or Rtn. John Hill on 01623 409 686

 

No comments:

Post a Comment