Monday 17 September 2012

I would walk (500 miles)


When I received an email from President Richard Carter of Bakewell Rotary Club, inviting all Rotarians to spread the word about their forthcoming Annual (2nd year) Tunnel Tramp, I immediately thought that it was something I could get involved with.

The Tunnel Tramp is not a vagrant living in a tunnel, but rather a walk along Monsal Trail in the Derbyshire Dales.  In 2011, redundant railway tunnels were opened along the route for walkers and cyclists.  Bakewell Rotary Club saw a great opportunity and organised a Sponsor Tunnel Tramp (or walk) walkers a choice of 5 miles, 12 miles or 16 miles circuit.

When I decided a fortnight ago to do the walk, I told friends that I would love to do the 16 miles but realistically being so out of condition, 5 miles was a better target.

Friends who know that I’m all or nothing guy, encouraged me by telling me that if I could walk over burning, hot coals then I could manage 12 miles.  I hadn’t allowed much time for training but knew I could walk 5/6 miles comfortable.  I decided that I would make a decision on the day.

The tunnel tramp was superbly organised by Bakewell Rotarians and I appreciated their friendly conversation at the check-in points. 


President Richard (left) at the start of the walk
 
 
The walk started at Hassop Station.  Anxious to give myself as much time as possible to go the full distance, I was the first walker to set-off.  I was also the first person to reach the first check-in point, 2 ½ miles along the trail at Monsal Dale.  I continued as the next stop was Millers Dale (another 3 ½ miles along)  and it was my intention to stop here, eat my lunch and rest for about 30 minutes before deciding whether to turn back and do 12 miles or go the full distance.





 

I still felt good at Millers Dale so decided to continue the further 2 miles up to Topley Pike.  When I got there and started chatting to the Rotarians there, one of them Roy Pickles, shared one of my other passions.  Both Roy and myself had attended the Barnsley v Blackpool football match the previous day.  A late friend of Roy’s, Frank Moore, was a well-known Barnsley Football supporter.  Frank Moore had been a season ticket holder at Oakwell from 1914 until his death in 2008 at the age of 102.  Frank had moved to Buxton but still went back to Barnsley for every game.  Roy had taken Frank to every game for the last eighteen years and had continued to attend these four years following Frank’s death.  Had I not decided to go the full distance, I would have missed making this wonderful new acquaintance.

 
 
8 miles gone, 8 to go.  The walk back to Millers Dale was quite gentle.  Again I enjoyed great conversation and fellowship with Rotarians.  The next leg was the first time I felt I was tiring, but I knew I had to get back to Hassop and that kept me moving.  My MP3 player proved to be a good companion as songs by Iron Maiden, Metallica and The Cult kept me pacing my steps.
 

 
 
 
As I entered the last mile, I could feel a blister on my foot.  I was pleased though, that I had managed 15 miles relatively blister-free. 

Just after 4pm, I completed the walk and felt proud in the achievement of walking all 16 miles.  Not bad for an unfit, overweight, middle-aged bloke!



Finished !

 
My check-in card
 
 
After winding down, I drove home.  Later that night I was struggling to walk to the kitchen, but no-one can take away from me that I did it – the full 16 miles.  What’s more, I plan to go back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment